Expansive Worlds is a creative division of Avalanche Studios Groupand a leading developer and publisher of outdoor games. Since 2009, Expansive Worlds has been devoted to delivering highly immersive outdoor gaming experiences for millions of players and best known for the long-standing and successful theHunter franchise.
We are now looking for a Gameplay Programmer to join us to work on an ambitious unannounced project in Liverpool.
As a gameplay programmer on this project you will work with our designers and other gameplay programmers to conceive of and implement solutions for scripted and emergent world content and activities. You will develop and maintain the systems necessary for designers to create missions, build complex gameplay mechanics and tweak and balance the game. You should have a good attunement to what makes fun and engaging gameplay, and possess a readiness and desire to give input and feedback to the systems you are developing.
Your work will take you all over our proprietary Apex open world engine, from underlying systems to specific gameplay mechanics, from animation systems to UI, from physics to VFX. In order to fully realise a feature or a section of gameplay, it is necessary to work closely with an array of disciplines, and you will often act as the glue pulling these different elements together.
- A keen sense for what makes gameplay fun and engaging.
- Excellent working knowledge of C++.
- Excellent working knowledge of debugging techniques.
- General familiarity with AI, physics and animation systems and techniques.
- Strong math skills.
- Strong communication skills – must possess excellent English verbal and written communication skills.
- The ability and desire to work in a team, often with different disciplines.
- Experience in rapid prototyping and refinement, e.g. Game Jams.
- Experience using middleware such as Havok Physics.
- More in depth knowledge and experience in AI e.g. behaviour trees.
- Familiarity working in editor-supported engines, such as Unreal.
- Experience with Python.
- Experience developing for consoles, or other limited resource environments.
- Experience mentoring and nurturing junior developers on your teams
We provide goals, instead of instructions, and the opportunity to do the best work of your career.
At Avalanche Studios Group, we believe in worlds beyond limits, we are committed to developing a diverse and inclusive workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. Everyone at Avalanche Studios Group has a shared responsibility to create an open and inclusive work environment where everyone is treated equally and with respect. Being part of our world is not contingent on where you’re from, your gender, or sexual orientation. It’s all about your passion and creativity.
How to Apply
We will only consider applications that consist of both a cover letter and a CV. In your cover letter you should include why you want to work at Avalanche Studios Group. For this role, you need to be able to work full-time in Liverpool. Following the UK Government’s Guidance for employers and businesses on COVID-19, all employees in Liverpool will initially join and work remotely until we can establish a physical location.Apply Now Back to listings