Senior Data Engineer
Senior Data Engineers
Up to £55,000 plus benefits (Grade D17)
Manchester city centre, with flexible working options available
We’re looking for Azure data engineers to join us and help us transform the way we do business. Co-op is changing. We’re developing a new data centre of excellence, bringing together data engineering, data science, analytics, insight, data governance and business intelligence. Together we will help Coop leverage greater value from data so that we can provide greater value to our members and communities. You’ll play a key role in the engineering and wider data leadership team, helping to establish the engineering roadmap, support key architectural decisions and championing data engineering across the business and throughout the wider community.
As a senior data engineer, you’ll support a team of data engineers, acting as the voice of experience. We’ll look to you to support the team in facing into and resolving the most complex problems. You’ll bring technical experience into the team, enabling the team to explore new and innovative approaches to solving problems.
You’ll support a squad of Azure data engineers, drive innovation and best practice approaches to design, coding and implementation. You’ll coach, mentor and support the careers of more junior data engineers, helping to onboard and train new colleagues to the role. If you’re a strong people leader and can bring us the technical knowledge that we need, we can offer you the chance to build your career and collaborate in our mission to create a fairer world. It’s a big job. But when we get it right, it has even bigger rewards for our customers and the communities we serve.
What you’ll do
• support teams that design, build and run enterprise data solutions within our Azure data platform
• hands on development of data pipelines using Microsoft Azure technologies and programme languages such as PySpark and Spark SQL
• contribute to the physical data architecture and engineering roadmap for one or more data domains
• work closely with the engineering leadership teams to empower, inspire and drive standard methodologies across different data technologies, finding new ways to solve emerging problems
• help govern engineering standards and policies
• manage and optimise the release processes championing CI/CD and DevOps
• work closely with partners in business areas to understand their short and long-term needs, helping to design solutions that both deliver value now and long into the future
This role would suit people who have
• expert development skills in languages such as Python and SQL with experience of the Azure tech stack
• great leadership skills, with experience mentoring and supporting the development of a team
• strong experience working in multi-disciplinary engineering teams in delivering modern data architectures solid understanding and experience of contributing to the design of data architectures
• an ability to evolve and expand your own technical skillset in line with emerging trends
• experience role modelling lean/agile development practices – DevOps, CI, CD, TDD
• a future-focused approach, with knowledge of new and emerging technologies and how we can use these to solve modern business problems
Here you’ll do work that matters. We’re a commercial organisation with a purpose beyond profit, you’ll have an opportunity to help us build a stronger Co-op and stronger communities. You’ll also get a package that includes:
• competitive salary
• coaching, training and support to help you develop
• pension with up to 10% employer contributions
• annual incentive scheme
• 28 days holiday (rising to 32 in line with service)
• discounts on Co-op products and services
Building an inclusive work environment
We’re actively building diverse teams and welcome applications from everyone. But simply having a diverse workforce is not enough. We aim to build an inclusive environment, where everyone can contribute their best work and develop to their full potential. We celebrate our differences and recognise the importance of teams reflecting the communities they serve.
We can make reasonable adjustments to our interview process according to your needs. And we offer a flexible working environment, so you can adjust your hours to suit your personal circumstances. You can find out more about Co-op people policies at colleagues.coop.co.uk.
As part of your application you’ll need to complete an online assessment. It will take you around 12 minutes to complete this test.Apply Now Back to listings