Software Development Lead
Hands-on code, with strong agile and leadership skills across people, team & stakeholders
We are looking for a hands-on code Software Development Lead with solid modern software engineering experience & an agile mindset to lead a small technical discipline within a multi-disciplined client delivery team at Code Computerlove.
Role Band: 4
(Band Guide: 1:Foundation. 2:Professional. 3:Senior. 4:Lead/Principal. 5:Director)
The salary banding for this role is dependant on your experience
We are an equal opportunities employer and are committed to promoting inclusivity and diversity at Code. We are actively encouraging applications from black and ethnic minority groups and women in engineering.
Despite the impacts of COVID-19, we are still recruiting as normal. We have taken the full recruitment process digital, so will perform interviews, interactive sessions and the office walk around through web conferencing.
We are also working remotely, however, our fantastic city center office space is COVID-19 secure, and open for our staff to work from if they wish to from time to time.
Role and responsibilities
As a Software Development Lead, reporting to the Technical Director, you’ll play the critical role of guiding & leading technical people on the reliable delivery of high-quality software using lean/agile methodologies to measure and improve both team and client products.
You must have a strong desire to improve yourself and others, whilst also getting involved in the Code Computerlove culture of learning & sharing.
You will also be part of the Software Development Lead discipline/community with all other Software Development Leads from other delivery teams at Code, setting and executing a shared vision, driving improvements & best practices across Code Computerlove teams.
For the clients that you work with, you will over time raise your profile within the relationship, showing increasing credibility & capability in providing technical direction to a range of stakeholders – with the end result being in essence, acting as their psuedo technical director.
Who are you?
You are already a solid, competent modern software engineer (TDD, Automation, DevOps etc…), and have solid experience to people & team leadership/improvement previously. You have identified that staying 100% purely technical is not your career aspiration, however want to still keep your fingers in the code.
You are motivated & passionate about improving how a team perform & relationships, so have experience of using lean/agile principles to drive improvements.
You are a confident communicator, along with empathy & pragmatic mindset – can operate seamlessly across the team & client stakeholders.
You are pragmatic in your approach, balancing technical and product needs to deliver quality adaptable solutions as part of a continuously improving product team.
- Experience of leading a team & individuals to be highly motivated & high performing. More than ‘managing’
- Pragmatic, level headed & empathetic approach to all aspects of your responsibilities.
- Solid understanding of what Code Craftsmanship means (Clean Code, TDD, Refactoring techniques) and can demonstrate this understanding through collaborative working practices & pair coding.
- You have had experience of Lean or Agile working practices, but want to cement your knowledge and help drive continuous improvement and eliminating waste as part of a client / team relationship.
- You have used a range of technology, whether it be from a Front End or Back End specialism however more importantly you can demonstrate your engineering practices/craftsmanship.
- Exposure to cloud services and DevOps practices in Azure or AWS.
- Have an understanding of modern architectural principles, however you will have a Principal Software Engineer (Architect) who you will use to set technical direction.
- You will have as much passion in HOW you work & deliver solutions to problems as you do in the technology you use, so terms like ‘Craftsmanship’, ‘Clean Code’, ‘TDD’, ‘Self Organising’, ‘Metrics’, ‘Fast Feedback’, ‘Automate Everything’ is something you believe in very strongly.
- Exposure to open source or enterprise-level Content Management Systems (CMS).
- Perhaps you will already be attending tech community events in the North West, and recognise the importance of the tech community to calibrate and learn from best in industry engineers.
What we value
What our Teams & Engineers Value
- A focus on modern engineering principles, Craftsmanship, Automation, TDD & BDD, DevOps, so technical solutions can be constantly adapted to meet ever changing demands with reliability, repeatability and fast feedback.
- Agile/Lean Thinking – Product focussed, Kanban approach, Extreme programming, building collaborative team structures that want to surface and use data to drive decisions.
- Self-Organising – an empowered team that constantly seek to improve to reliably deliver on iterative solutions.
- Learning & Personal Development – DevOps Certification, Personal Training Budget, Make-Change Fridays, Code Kata’s, Brown Bags, SkillShares.
- Actively attend & speak at local tech & lean meetups in the North West
- Use the flexible, fun and challenging work environment where innovative ideas are encouraged.
Code Computerlove Values
- We value people who are brilliant in their capability and the things that they make together
- We value people who are always improving both themselves and the world around them to make a difference
- We value people who collaborate, who are a joy to work with, and who get more from themselves and those around them, by working together effectively.
We offer a competitive salary, negotiable dependent on qualifications and experience. On top of this, we have a generous benefits package, including our ‘Make-Change‘ Friday afternoon learning time every week, pension scheme, medical insurance, flexi-start, 25 days holiday growing to 30 days over time, paid social events, bike schemes, child care schemes.
For the foreseeable future, we are a remote-first business, however, our fantastic city center office space is COVID-19 secure, and open for our staff to work from if they wish to from time to time. Our Manchester city centre office space, just a few minutes’ walk from Picadilly train station, reflects the collaborative way we work, so we’ve crafted studios and working environments that let creativity flourish.
Perks of working for Code
- An annual training budget of at least £500 so you can develop your skills
- Profit-related bonus scheme
- Medical insurance with eyecare and dental included
- Subsidised massages on-site
- Generous maternity and shared parental leave package
- Flexible hours and opportunities to work from home
- Annual (& legendary) Christmas jaunt abroad
- Social events subsidised by the company, including a weekly free bar
- Bike and rail pass scheme