Data Scientist/Researcher/Research Coordinator
We’re currently recruiting talented researchers to join our diverse team of experts, you’ll be working alongside world class operators in their field who are tackling complex and interesting real world problems that you just won’t find anywhere else.
Apply your academic skills and knowledge whilst continuing to learn and grow through an inclusive collaboration of intellectual minds. Exploring your academic outer limits, technical creativity is at the heart of what we do. You’ll be innovating and creating new techniques where none exist and implementing those techniques in a real-world context.
If you’re looking for a unique, challenging yet extremely rewarding opportunity to implement your technical creativity and continued academic research then we’re looking for you.
We are GCHQ, we unlock the complex world of communications to make a real difference to the safety of the nation. We work closely with our partners in the intelligence community to safeguard Britain’s people, interests, and businesses from threats such as serious organised crime, people and drugs trafficking, terrorism, and cyber-attacks.
We offer a strong work-life balance & benefits, training and certifications and we are remote-working friendly. Our culture is centred on embracing a growth mindset, equality and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day.
We believe diverse teams really are the best teams, so, if you are excited about working with us and think you can do much of what we are looking for but aren’t sure if you are 100% there yet… why not just give it a go!
Data Science Researcher
We are looking for talented researchers to help us stay at the cutting edge of data science, machine learning and AI. We have positions available to match a range of experience levels, but you will have a strong background in one or more Data Science disciplines. You’ll be using your technical expertise to develop new approaches to complex problems. With a diverse set of customers from across our mission no two projects are the same and you’ll be delivering high-quality research either individually or as part of a team. You’ll work closely with other agencies, organisations, and commercial partners; as well as working with organisations that contribute to our corporate social responsibility agenda. You’ll help to build a diverse, supportive and effective Data Science Research community, and develop and mentor the next generation of data scientists.
- Experience working in artificial intelligence, machine learning or data science in a research capacity.
- A deep understanding of one or more relevant technologies, e.g neural networks, statistical methods etc.
- The ability to solve complex problems, both through personal research and leadership of research teams.
- Experience working with academia, implementing and building on published research.
- Proficiency with essential technologies, ideally Python and common data science libraries, e.g. PyTorch.
- The ability to work with customers to turn research into mission applications and identify new opportunities for research.
Operating on mission-critical systems, you’ll work closely with specialists using your knowledge and experience to contribute to the creation of scalable artificial intelligence, machine learning and data science capabilities.
You’ll assess communications, collaborate in research and pioneer the next generation of such capabilities. Some positions will involve leading teams by delivering consistent and relevant messages to all and informing strategy. It’s expected you’ll give back to the community by building understanding through mentoring and supporting junior colleagues. A positive team player, you’ll be supportive and active in creating an environment that embraces difference and capitalises on that advantage.
- Knowledge of and experience working in both data science and software engineering whilst talking to experts in both fields.
- Deep knowledge of machine learning training, deployment, and maintenance.
- A thorough understanding of exploratory data analysis, statistical reasoning, communicating about data, and data-driven decision making.
- Familiarity with modern software engineering best practices (e.g. Agile) and know how they can be applied to data science projects.
- The technical knowledge to take a prototype ML capability (e.g., in a Jupyter notebook) and build it into a functional system component.
- Familiarity with other useful technologies- ELK, AWS (essential in 2+ years).
Data Science Research Coordinator
We are seeking a talented data scientist who can use their skills to bridge the gap between research and business management to ensure our research has maximum impact. Using your broad knowledge of data science techniques, you’ll work closely alongside the Technical Director and research leads to plan, enable and deliver our data science research. You’ll be working with stakeholders ranging from academics to mission customers, seeking out new opportunities for collaboration and exploitation of research outcomes. You’ll have the opportunity to contribute your own research to the work of the team. You will help to build a diverse, supportive and effective Data Science Research community, through developing and mentoring the next generation of data scientists.
Within your work you will be reviewing academic research to identify alignment with our work and identify collaboration opportunities. You will be communicating the research portfolio and progress to stakeholders whilst supporting commercial and business teams in managing research delivery. You will be researching new data science techniques, either theoretical (developing new algorithms), or experimental (writing code to test ideas).
- Experience of working with researchers and business teams to manage research tasks.
- Broad expertise in data science, machine learning or AI.
- The ability to capture customer requirements and use them to shape our future research direction.
- The ability to effectively communicate research direction and outcomes to a wide range of audiences.
- Experience liaising with academia to guide their research.
- Solving complex problems through personal research, individually or as part of a team.
- Helping to build a diverse, supportive and effective Data Science Research community.
To be eligible to apply, you must be a British Citizen. One of your parents must be a British Citizen or must have one of the nationalities or citizenships from one of the following: British Overseas territory, British subject, British National (Overseas), British protected person, citizenship of the Commonwealth, EEA nationality, or citizenship of the United States of America. If deceased, have had such citizenship or nationality before death. If you hold dual nationality, of which one component is British, you will nonetheless be considered. If successful, you will not normally be required to give up your non-British citizenship but, as a condition of your employment or secondment, GCHQ may impose restrictions on your postings, work travel and/or general use of that nationality. Candidates must normally have been resident in the UK for seven out of the last ten years. This is particularly important if you were born outside the UK. Each case will be carefully considered on its own facts. You can apply at the age of 17 years and 6 months, if successful you will not be offered a start date prior to your 18th birthday. Discretion is vital. You should not discuss your application, other than with your partner or a close family member. Please note, you should only launch your application from within the UK. If you are based overseas, you should wait until you visit the UK to launch an application. Applying from outside of the UK will impact on our ability to progress your application. Further information on our eligibility criteria can be found by clicking ‘How to Apply’ in the navigation bar above.