Lead Systems Developer
Key purpose of the role
This is a hands-on role requiring solid development capability with the ability to interface with management. Development knowledge needs to stretch across multiple areas; database, operating systems, web, software (full stack) – with software and web being the primary areas.
This role carries primary responsibility for the development, design, and overall management of the ITS systems and IT portfolio. Working right across the full ITS team, you will ensure our Systems and IT solutions meet the needs of the business both now and as ITS develops and builds in the future. You will be responsible for making sure Systems are always fit for purpose, available, and keep ahead of future business needs.
You will work directly with external suppliers and vendors to ensure ITS is getting the best from their systems in terms of functionality and performance, and value for money in the systems marketplace.
You will also keep the senior management team and other ITS stakeholders aware of System performance and development plans, and actively seek regular user feedback to address day to day performance or tactical improvements required.
This role will suit candidates who wish to bring their proven Systems and technical IT knowledge into the telecommunications industry with a leading networking company, driving fibre delivered products and services to partners, businesses, and residential customers across the UK.
- Strong previous development experience in the following: PHP, ASP, MySQL, PostgreSQL, RESTful web services (JSON, HTML, XML), .NET
- Ability to design, read and write code to ensure it meets required security standards
- Ability to review and complete the formal compliance documentation
- Ability to read technical specifications and translate them into development tasks
- Ability to understand security bulletins and apply them to Systems and IT infrastructure
- Ability to understand custom web systems and APIs and integrate them into the Systems and IT infrastructure
- Ability to document internal processes and periodic compliance activities
- Linux experience (Ubuntu)
Additional Beneficial Skills
- Experience with GIS systems and associated languages and standards
- Experience in networking standards and operation
- Experience with other programming languages such as Python/Ruby, Java, C++
- Experience/Qualifications relating to virtualisation/deployment technologies (VMware, ProxMox, AWS, Docker)
- Experience with Power Apps development and BI tools
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Developing and managing the Systems and IT strategy for the company, ensuring current and future OSS/BSS requirements are being met
- Analysing current systems and identifying improvements
- Developing ITS’ own system or application capability where required, and integrating into System architecture
- Working directly with System vendors and partners to maintain optimum Systems performance and availability
- Keeping the Senior Management Team and other key stakeholders updated with strategic and tactical plan progression
- Maintaining good working relationships with key suppliers/partners and ensuring the latest system developments are being brought through into the Systems strategy
- Acting as prime support contact during any major Systems outage
- Work to best practice methodologies, minimising the impact on production environments at all times.
Qualifications & Training
Experience & Knowledge
- Systems language skills with hands-on experience of developing Systems strategy
- Advanced Microsoft Office application integration skills
- Systems analysis, design, organisation, and implementation skills
- Working knowledge of telecoms industry fibre broadband products and services
- Demonstrable experience working in a Systems Architect or Systems engineering role
Skills/Abilities & Relevant Competencies
- Excellent communication skills at all levels (written and verbal)
- Self-motivated and driven to meet System architecture objectives and milestones
- Enthusiastic and highly motivated with an eye for detail
- Able to liaise and interact effectively with all staff members from senior management through to team members
- Ability to listen, empathise and gain stakeholder buy-in and confidence
- Flexible approach and able to manage a varying workload
- Experience in driving Systems change programmes