Software Engineer and Mentor
The classroom team operates on a sprint based system, with people working on course blocks and project outcomes of ~3 weeks. This will mean you should get to work across the range of things that we do in the classroom team, though at first you will likely be refamiliarising yourself with the course content, and receive guidance to assist with supporting our students through nc-helpdesk and as a mentor.
Your key responsibilities under the following areas would be:
- Attending and supporting lectures when you work on a block with the aim to familiarise yourself with delivery methodologies
- Delivering solution lectures to katas or similar
- Answering helpdesk requests and providing support for students in your block
- Providing feedback loops for lecturers, paying attention to the general understanding of the students and any areas for improvement
- Providing one-to-one support sessions for mentees (including remote calls)
- Responding to individual students’ needs and learning styles to ensure everyone gets the best out of the course
- Supporting junior staff with their development and understanding
- Familiarising yourself with the breadth of the curriculum so you can respond to any problems
- Developing, fixing and extending the notes we provide to students
- Engaging with additional training
- Proactively looking for ways to improve sprints, bring in new technologies and consolidate learning outcomes
- Attending internal training sessions to expand your knowledge (e.g. opportunities to learn other languages)
- Keeping up to date with training requirements specific to your role as a Northcoders mentor (e.g. Prevent and Safeguarding)
- Helping us test run internal projects and provide feedback / tickets through appropriate channels
- Working in development sprints on internal and external projects for Northcoders
A few other things…
- Safeguarding: We are an education provider. You may have responsibility for children, young people and/or vulnerable adults.
- Keeping up to date records to track progress and engagement
- Engage with and help us work to build our virtual community as more and more students work remotely
- Delivery and participation outside of the regular curriculum, including conducting entry challenges, being involved with outreach, and social events we undertake
- You may be asked to work from home or from one of our hubs depending on government guidelines and business needs
What we like
- Great problem solving skills
- A desire to keep learning and improving
- Strong communication skills
- Alignment with our values
- Creativity and a sense of fun
- A sense of humour
- The ability to respond quickly to new problems
- A willingness to weigh into a debate on nested ternaries
- A desire to dance; talent optional
- One half day off per week to do with as you please (we suggest ‘relax’)
- Aside from this, 2 weeks closure at Christmas and bank holidays off
- Aside from that, 20 days bookable holiday
- Competitive pension
- Optional health insurance
- Sharpen your development skill on our internal systems with dedicated dev time
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people and vulnerable adults, and we expect all our employees to share this commitment. This post is subject to the satisfactory completion of an enhanced DBS check, Barred List check, the receipt of satisfactory references and any other statutory checks that are required for the post.
We are an equal opportunities employer. We offer shared parental leave as well as parental leave policies exceeding the statutory minimum, flexible working and health insurance. For us, success means having a genuine impact on the people, communities and the industry we’re a part of. We believe that no matter who you are, where you’re from, who you love or who you worship, you should be welcomed. We stand with #BlackLivesMatter, affirm all gender identities and sexualities and support people living with disabilities and neurodiversities. When you become a Northcoder, you pledge not to tolerate discrimination, and become part of a wider mission to do our bit to contribute towards equality.
Northcoders is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome all applicants regardless of background. We are committed to eliminating discrimination whether by reason of gender, marital status, age, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnic origin, colour, religion or ability and to encourage equal opportunities for all.
Starting Salary – £30,000 – £35,000
Working Hours – 36 hours a week over 4.5 days
Safeguarding: We are an education provider. You will have responsibility for, and contact with, children, young people and vulnerable adults
Location: Either from our campus in Manchester City Centre or our Leeds hub. This is an in-person role insofar as you may be needed on campus at any time depending on needs within the team, but you may have opportunities to work from home.
Line manager: Vel Georgieva & Paul Rogerson, Heads of Mentoring
How to apply: Please download the application form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com, along with your CV.Apply Now Back to listings