Technical Sound Designer
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, PlayStation™Now, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
A Technical Sound Designer with a deep understanding and passion for systems, pipelines, and problem solving – who thrives on bridging the gap between creative and technical implementation challenges. Experienced with a broad range of middleware and engines, you have a proven track record delivering amazing sounding games. You want to work alongside our development partners at AAA studios such as Naughty Dog, Santa Monica Studio, Insomniac Games, Guerrilla Games, Sucker Punch Productions and more…
As it turns out:
We are looking for a Technical Sound Designer to join our award winning, global team in crafting high quality audio experiences for the PlayStation Studios family of development partners. As part of our team, you will have the opportunity to continue to set the bar alongside some of the most quality-driven developers in the industry on some of the most exciting AAA games for PlayStation.
Design: Working with our development partners and supervising sound designers, you will use your technical skills and creativity to help define and bring the audio vision to life across a range of titles
- Design, script and support interactive audio systems across a range of engines and tools, incorporating sound design, music and voice
- Supports the overall game project and strategy for sound design
- Understands and supports the sound design and execution plan across multiple pillars of the project
- Designs and implements high quality audio assets where required
Direction: You can take direction and feedback well, and work within specific guidelines creatively and technically to achieve success within your area of responsibility.
- Works with senior staff to grow in their technical and development skillset, can collaborate effectively with their teammates and external partners
- Understands and supports the sound design vision and technical execution for a title
- Helps define and evangelize best practices for audio pipelines, workflows, and systems
Implementation: You will have a depth of knowledge across a wide range of tools and systems, and will be a “go-to” member of the team, renowned for your implementation skills and technical prowess
- Works alongside programmers and designers to develop audio systems based on the creative vision and gameplay needs
- Designs, documents, and maintains the audio project structure (e.g. Wwise project)
- Logically and methodically helps the audio team solve problems and fix bugs
- Understands performance and optimization, and champions efficient implementation techniques
- Provides technical development support for sound designers across multiple titles
Tool and Technical Proficiency: You will embrace and seek out opportunities to learn and adapt in an ever-changing environment when it comes to game and sound technologies and educate and share your knowledge with the team.
- Actively pursues growth and best practices with regards to tools usage and philosophy
- Enthusiastically acquires knowledge in new tools and workflows
- Partners with technical/engineering groups to help drive needs for innovative sound production
Communication: You will help maintain meaningful relationships across our internal and external groups, based on trust and delivering consistent, high-quality results.
- Helps drive communication between the sound design team and development partners
- Demonstrates passion for knowledge sharing and promoting new discoveries
- Evangelizes audio technology within the team and with development partners
- Teaches and mentors team members, encouraging and facilitating knowledge sharing
Innovation: You will look for ways to expand boundaries to deliver breakthrough solutions, creatively and technically.
- Drives consistent communication with development partners about ways to elevate sound design
- Works to integrate new ideas for content or systems into their project work & workflows
- Seeks out ways to improve and streamline audio development workflows
- Demonstrates a passion and drive to continually push creative and technical boundaries
Collaboration & Influence: You will be open, candid and push those around you in a positive way to succeed to together.
- Identifies ways to collaborate effectively within project team
- Leverages network of contacts outside of their own team to discover and drive collaboration efforts
- Utilizes technical knowledge to build and maintain influence with development partners
- 2+ Years experience as Technical Sound Designer for video games (or demonstration of technical skill in an audio development role)
- Excellent knowledge of audio integration in modern game engines (e.g. Unreal/Unity)
- Proficient with audio development environments and tools (e.g. Wwise/Fmod)
- Skilled with implementation using visual scripting systems (e.g. blueprint)
- Strong attention to detail and great organizational skills
- Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines
- High degree of technical curiosity and creativity
- Experience with scripting languages such as Python or Lua
- Experience working with game development teams and coordinating with various game departments such as animation, level design, AI, physics, mechanics, etc.
- Experience with a full AAA development cycle
- Proficient with DAW environments (Reaper/Pro Tools)
- Some familiarity or experience with C++
- Discretionary bonus opportunity
- Private Medical Insurance
- Dental Scheme
- London Allowance (if applicable)
- 25 days holiday per year
- On Site Gym
- Subsidised Café
- Free soft drinks
- On site bar
- Access to cycle garage and showers
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.